The Wheel of Time turns

I'm going to try to run through the books I've read since my last entry, which was approximately 5 months ago.

I listened to The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure on my long drive down to San Francisco. I don't know if I consider it having "read" the book though if you just listened to the book on tape. That's a debate for another time I suppose.

Okay, working back, I'm currently working my way through The Eye of the World, the first book in The Wheel of Time series...and have been for the last several months. Sorry, it's just very slow!

In that the time I've been working on that beast I've read:

1. Flypaper (sci-fi book about a disease released when a mummy is unearthed in China. NOT recommended!)
2. The Magician's Land (Final book in the series by Les Grossman, highly recommended!)
3. Sharp Objects (by the author of Gone Girl, I actually liked it better than her more famous novel)
4. Gone Girl (:P yeah, this is coming out as a movie which I'm quite excited to see, I was a little disappointed by the ending though)
5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, Part 1 (I FUCKING LOVE BUFFY AND JOSS WHEDON)
6. The Silkworm (J.K. Rowling's new book, written under a pseudonym, I'm loving this detective series of hers!)
7. The graphic novel adaptions of The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword by George RR Martin

I think there have been some others interspersed in there as those are the only ones I can remember from the last month or so!

In other, non-book related, news I'm currently living in Oakland, CA. My new job is actually making me very happy. I commute into the city (San Francisco) every day and work on the 18th floor of  huge building in the financial district. As I try my best to blend in with the flow of busy, important looking people walking with purpose to lunch I really feel like this is what I wanted 10 years ago.

My new company is a fraction of the size of my last, which is refreshing, just for the lack of bureaucracy (which btw is a bitch to spell, thanks autocorrect!) My team is basically 4 people, including my boss. It's nice to actually feel like you're a valuable, hard to replace part of a company, instead of just a cog in the wheel. Also getting paid nearly twice as much doesn't hurt!

Lastly, I broke up with my latest boyfriend, we'd been together ~2 years and he is for all intents and purposes the only person I knew (outside of work) here. We've been broken up a couple weeks and it finally really started to hit me last week just how alone I am here. (And by hit me I mean I ended up crying in the bathroom at work) I feel lonely and a little scared, I really need to start putting myself out there and try to make friends. So that's my new goal!

Until next time! Hopefully it won't be so long.

Comments

Popular Posts