Back when I was 29, slightly drunk and watching too many romance movies...

So I wrote this FIVE years ago and never published! I think it got a bit too much (even more me) and I was embarrassed by it. Well, now that I've got a bit of distance I think it's wonderful and made me laugh and remember this funny time in my life. Enjoy :)



Today (Because I'm recently single and am completely in the mood to watch sappy romantic movies while drinking my whiskey-coke and crying) I will be counting down my top 3 MOST romantic movie scenes.

1. Dirty Dancing, The Cabin Scene

Girls have been watching this movie at sleepovers for almost 30 years, dreaming of meeting their very own Johnny while on summer vacation with their families. Of all the incredible sexy, romantic scenes in it (and there are many) I have to pick the cabin scene where Johnny and Baby dance alone together. Of course this is the scene with Baby's iconic speech... "I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you." Oh yeah Baby, you tell him! What makes this scene for me is the role reversal. Baby starts the movie out so meek and yielding, but in this scene she takes charge, tells Johnny how she feels about him and demands he dance with her, and dance they do. It's slow and sensual and made 14 year old me feel strange new things, glorious things.




2. Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightly version), The Botched Proposal!

I had a tough time with this one. The scene near the end where Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy meet in the field as the sun rises, yowza! But I ended up having to give it to the proposal scene. Let me set up it for you: Elizabeth dashes through the rain, furious after finding out Mr. Darcy was responsible for separating her sister Jane and Mr. Bingley. As she takes a moment to collect herself under a beautiful marble monument who should surprise her but Mr. "Too Good For You" himself! He then proceeds to propose, very very awkwardly while insulting her and her family. Well, Elizabeth rips into him, "From the first moments I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of other made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry." Tell us how you really feel Lizzie! But then as they stare at each other, fuming, there's the briefest instant where Darcy leans in and OMG are they going to KISS!? But no, Darcy reconsiders and leaves and we can see in that single moment, the dawning realization as Elizabeth braces herself against the monument, that she loves him.

3. Bridget Jones' Diary, "I like you very much, just as you are." That is all.





Comments

Popular Posts